Borate-treated lumber protects homes from fungal decay and pests, including carpenter ants, roaches and the highly destructive Formosan subterranean termite.
• In Hawaii’s particularly tough environment, borate-treated wood has performed very well in field tests.
• Structural systems built with borate-treated wood have a commendable record in real world use.
• Hi-bor® brand borate pressure treated wood was developed to meet the special durability and termite protection needs of Hawaii and is one of many wood treatments available.
• Treated wood can also be made water resistant and fire resistant.
• The American Wood Protection Association (AWPA) Use Category system provides an easy way to choose the treated wood products that are appropriate for each type of home project (inside, outside and all around).
• There's no reason a wood structure can't last virtually forever or at least hundreds of years.